Learning how to save a route in Google Maps can be convenient if you’re planning a trip. This feature allows you to plan your journey more efficiently and keeps you from getting lost along the way. You can also download maps to view offline, eliminating the need for an internet connection to see where you need to go.
We’ll guide you on how to save a route in Google Maps on your phone and PC in this guide. In addition, we’ll address some frequently asked questions about Google Maps routes.
How to Save Google Maps Routes on Every Device
Even though you can plan and design your routes in Google Maps to the minute detail, you can just save a route on your Android gadget. However, once you’ve created a route on your PC, you can send the directions to your phone and save them.
Follow the steps below to save a route on Google Maps on your Android device:
1. Launch Google Maps on your phone.
2. Enter your desired destination in the search bar.
3. In the bottom-left corner of your screen, tap “Directions.”
4. Enter your current location or the starting point of the route.
5. Decide how you will travel (driving, motorcycle, transit, walking, rides, and cycling).
6. Select “Navigate” from the menu in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
7. Select “Pin” from the bottom toolbar.
You can also bookmark the destination. To do so, type the destination in the search bar and then tap “Save” on the bottom toolbar. Google Maps app will ask you If you want the route saved in the following folders: Bookmarks, Favorites, Want to Go, Starred Places, or whether you want to create a new list. Open the map and begin the route, open Google Maps and navigate to the “Saved” tab on the bottom toolbar.
If you are dissatisfied with the route that Google Maps has planned for you, you can look at other routes. Tap on the one that works best for you once you’ve decided on it.
Google Maps is typically pre-installed on Android devices, but you can still use the web version if you don’t have the app and don’t want to install it. If you hold an iPhone, you can also download Google Maps and save a route in the same way. In addition to your computer, you can save a route in Google Maps on your tablet.
On a PC
As previously stated, you cannot save a route in Google Maps on your computer, but you can send it to your phone or another device.
This is how it’s done:
1. Navigate to Google Maps in your browser.
2. Type your destination in the “Search Google Maps” search bar.
3. On the left side of your screen, click “Directions.”
4. Enter your current location or the starting point of your journey. You’ll see all of the routes to that location, with the recommended route highlighted in blue.
5. Determine your travel options (bus, subway, bike, train, tram, or walking).
6. Select “Send directions to your phone.”
7. Select whether you want the directions sent to your phone, email, or text message.
You should immediately receive a notification from Google Maps on your phone. You cannot save a route in Google Maps on your PC, but you can save the destination. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Launch Google Maps.
2. In the search bar, enter your destination.
3. Click the “Save” button to the right of the destination image.
4. Choose the list where you want to save the destination (Favorites, Want to Go, Starred Places, Bookmarks, or new list you create).
You can also create your map in Google Maps’ “My Maps” section. This is how it’s done:
1. Go to Google and type in “My Maps.”
2. Select “Create a New Map” from the menu in the upper-left corner of your screen.
3. Click “Add directions” in the search bar.
4. Enter your destination.
5. Enter your starting location.
6. Decide how you will get there (walking, driving, cycling, etc.).
You can select items, can also add markers, draw lines, and measure distances before naming and describing the map. You can share it with anyone you want using a link or Google Drive.
Additional Questions and Answers
Is it possible for my Google Maps saved route to expiring?
If you save a route in Google Maps on your phone or tablet, it has a 30-day expiration date. That is why we recommend planning a route in the same month as your trip. On the other hand, Routes are generally simple to create and save, so even if it expires, you can re-save them in a matter of seconds.
Google Maps Makes Traveling Easier
You now understand how to save a route in Google Maps on your phone and share a route from your PC. You also understand how to personalize a route and save a map for offline use. Your journey can begin once you have saved all necessary routes and maps.
Do you ever save a route in Google Maps? Did you use the same method that we discussed in this guide? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.