In this article we detailed discuss about how to convert WEBP images to JPG, GIF or PNG images.The WEBP format provides images visually comparable to those encoded using traditional standards such as JPEG and PNG but at much smaller file size. Because they make web pages load faster, you’ll mostly see them on desktop browsers.
However, while support for the WEBP format has grown since Google introduced it in 2010, it isn’t the most compatible (especially with legacy image editing applications). As a result, several methods are provided below to convert WEBP images to the widely compatible JPG and PNG formats. You’ll also discover how to save animated WEBP images in GIF format. Also read the topic How to Download GIF From Twitter
Use Browser Extensions to Convert WEBP Images
If you come across a WEBP image during browsing websites in the desktop versions of Firefox or Chrome, you can use a browser extension to save it to your PC or Mac in JPG or PNG format.
A quick search for “WEBP” in the Chrome Web Store or the Firefox Add-ons Store should yield a plethora of extensions with WEBP image conversion functionality, but here are a couple of hand-picked extensions you can use right away:
Google Chrome: Save image as Type
Firefox: Save webP as a PNG or JPEG.
Tip: Extensions from the Chrome Web Store can also be installed on Chromium-based web browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Opera, and Vivaldi.
1. Get the Save image as Type extension and install it.
2. Open any browser tab and right-click the image you want to save.
3. Select Save as JPG or Save as PNG from the Save image as Type menu.
Then, choose Save and specify a location on the internal storage.
1. Get the Save webP as PNG or JPEG extension and install it.
2. Open a browser tab and right-click on the image you want to save.
3. Select Save webP and choose between JPG and PNG as the file format.
The extension offers a variety of conversion options for the JPG format, specifically at various quality levels.
Choose JPG if you don’t want to lose visual quality (100).
You can also choose GIF (V), which will automatically send the URL of the animated WEBP image to EZGIF.com, where you can convert and download it in GIF format.
More information on online file converters can be found further down.
Use Paint or Preview to Convert WEBP Images
If you’ve already downloaded a WEBP image, drag it back into the browser window and save it in the PNG or JPG formats using the extensions listed above.
You can also convert a WEBP image to JPG or PNG using the native Paint (Windows) or Preview (Mac) apps. Although you can save them in GIF format, neither application supports animated WEBP images.
1. Select Open with > Paint from the context menu when you right-click the WEBP image.
2. In Paint, go to the File menu and select Save As. Then, choose either a PNG or a JPEG image.
3. Enter a location and click Save.
Note: If you cannot open the WEBP image in Paint, download and install the Webp Image Extension from the Microsoft Store.
1. Open Preview by double-clicking the WEBP image.
2. Select Export from the Edit menu.
3. Select JPEG or PNG from the Format menu.
If you select JPEG, use the Quality slider to adjust the level of compression used in the conversion.
Then click Save.
It’s also worth noting that Preview can batch convert WEBP images to JPG and PNG formats.
Using a dedicated third-party app (see the following section) is more convenient. Also read How To Copy Text From Image in Mobile
Batch Convert WEBP Images Using Third-Party Apps
The best way to batch convert multiple WEBP images to JPG or PNG formats is to download and install an image conversion utility.
Here are three tools for use on desktop computers.
IrfanView (Windows Only)
IrfanView is a lightweight and quick graphics viewer that allows you to batch convert images.
It supports the WEBP format if the IrfanView All Plugins Pack is also installed.
1. Get IrfanView and the IrfanView All Plugins pack and install them.
2. Launch IrfanView.
Then, in the File menu, choose Batch Conversion / Rename.
3. Select the WEBP images you need to convert and click Add All.
Then, choose an output format and click Start Batch.
WebpConverter (macOS Only)
If you have a Mac, you can use the Mac App Store to download and install the WebpConverter app to batch convert WEBP images to JPG or PNG formats.
1. Get and install WEBPConverter.
2. Queue the files for conversion by clicking the Add Files button in WebpConverter.
3. Select the output format from the menu at the screen’s bottom-left, such as Webp to JPG.
Then click Convert.
XnConvert (Windows and macOS)
XnConvert works on Windows and macOS and can batch convert images (including WEBP) between popular image formats.
It also offers a plethora of output options for customizing the conversion process.
1. Get and install XnConvert.
2. Launch XnConvert and select the WEBP images you want to convert.
3. Navigate to the Output tab to configure your image output preferences (keep or delete metadata, preserve color profiles, remove the originals, etc.)
Then click Convert.
Convert Animated WEBP Images to GIF
There are several ways to convert animated WEBP images to GIF format, but using an online conversion tool is the quickest.
There are various services available for this purpose, but a few standouts are:
Most websites let you upload one or more animated WEBP images for conversion.
After that, select GIF as the output format, begin the conversion process and save the converted files to local storage.
You can also paste the URLs of any WEBP images for conversion. This allows you to download them in GIF format directly.
Start Converting Your WEBP Images
The tips provided above should have assisted you in converting WEBP images to JPG, GIF, or PNG formats. However, if you come across WEBP images on your Android or iPhone, you can easily find image conversion apps at the Google Play Store, including the Apple App Store, to save them to a different compatible format. Alternatively, you can use any of the file conversion websites listed above.