This article will explain how to change your username on Twitch on Windows, Mac, Chromebook, PC, Android, iPhone and iPads using Chrome or Firefox. We can sometimes be too hasty in selecting a username for our social accounts, as we are with many other aspects of our lives. You may eventually realize that it isn’t the name you were looking for. It’s also likely that your current brand doesn’t correspond to the name you chose. To change your name for any reason, you do not need to create a new account. Also check how to enable Nightbot on Twitch?
In this article, we’ll show you how to change your Twitch username on all versions of the app.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch Using a Browser (Chrome, Firefox)
Instead of downloading the dedicated app, one method of accessing Twitch is to use a browser. The version of the browser has the benefit of not requiring a platform. Whatever device you open in the process would be the same as long as you are connected to the web. To change your username in a browser, follow these steps:
1. open your browser and navigate to the Twitch website. You can use the address bar to type https://www.twitch.tv/.
2. If you use a mobile device, the browser will automatically switch to the mobile website version. In the mobile browser version of Twitch, you will not be able to change your username. To enter desktop mode, tap the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. From the menu that appears, tap ‘Desktop site,’ then return to the home page and follow the steps.
4. tap your Profile Icon by clicking or tapping on it. It should be found in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
5. In the resulting dropdown menu, click or tap on Settings.
6. click ‘Profile’ from the Settings menu. It should be one of the tab options in the upper portion of the menus.
7. Continue scrolling down until you reach the Profile Settings section. To the right of your username, click or tap the edit button. This is the icon that resembles a pencil.
8. A new window will open in which you will be prompted to enter your new username. Type it, then click or tap Update.
9. You’ll be prompted to enter your password. Once you’ve done that, click or tap Confirm.
10. Your username should now be changed, and you should navigate this window. The name change will be communicated to you via email.
Please note that to change your username, your account must have a verified email address. If your account does not, Twitch will prompt you to verify your email address before continuing with the name change process.
How to Change Your User Name on a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
Except for a few steps, changing your username in the desktop app is nearly identical to doing so in the web browser version. To change your Twitch username on a computer, do the following:
1. open the Twitch desktop app on your computer.
2. Sign in to your account.
3. From the app window, click the profile icon. It should be in the screen’s upper right corner.
4. From the dropdown menu, select Settings.
5. In the Settings menu, navigate to the Profile tab. Click on it.
6. Scroll down until you reach the Profile Settings section. To the right of your username, click the edit icon.
7. The following steps are similar to those in the web browser version. Enter your preferred new username and then click Update. Follow attention to the confirmation message.
8. Tap the Twitch icon in the upper left corner of the screen to return to the home screen.
To proceed with the name change, you will need to have a verified email address, as with the web version. Further, if you have enabled two-factor authentication, you will be required to enter a code sent to your phone. Also Check, How to Download Twitch Clips.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch on an Android Mobile Device
Although you can change many of your Profile settings on the Twitch mobile app, you cannot change your username. To access the Twitch website, you must use the desktop app or your phone’s web browser. Follow the instructions outlined above for either the browser or desktop versions.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch on an iPhone
The iPhone Twitch app, like the Android option, will not allow you to change your username. Use a computer or open Twitch in your phone’s web browser. To change your username, follow the desktop app or web version instructions above.
How to Change Your User Name on Twitch on the iPad
Except for viewing options, the iPhone and iPad versions of the Twitch mobile app are nearly identical. Because no mobile apps allow you to change your username, open the Twitch website in your mobile browser or use the desktop app. For the web or desktop app method, follow the instructions outlined above.
Additional Questions and Answers
The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about Twitch name changes.
How long does it take for a Twitch user’s name to update after changing?
Twitch name changes are immediately updated. When you tap or click the Update button in the final step of the name change process, your username will change as shortly as you navigate the window.
Can I change the color of my Twitch user name?
Name colors are available in Twitch chat as a way to distinguish your messages from the crowd. It can be changed in the desktop app or via the desktop web browser. If you’re using the Twitch mobile app, you’ll need to use a computer or your device’s web browser. To change the color of your name, follow the steps:
1. Type “/color” followed by the color name into the chat box while it is open.
2. The available colors for non-Twitch Turbo users are Blue, Green, Red, DodgerBlue, YellowGreen, CadetBlue, BlueViolet, Coral, SpringGreen, SeaGreen, OrangeRed, HotPink, GoldenRod, Firebrick, and Chocolate.
You can choose any color hex value you want if you’re a Twitch Turbo user.
How frequently can I change my Twitch user name?
Name changes are made once every 60 days. However, this is not recommended because when you change your username, the URL of your Twitch page will change automatically. Because your old URL will not automatically redirect to your new one, you must either notify old subscribers of the change or give a redirect link yourself.
Can someone else use my old username?
Twitch will retain new names from the available name pool for approximately six months. Anyone who wishes to use the name after six months will be permitted. Twitch does not make the availability of old usernames, so they will either have to be blessed and guess your old name by chance or be specifically informed of its availability.
Please note that banned names are permanently removed from the pool of available names in a name. Those will not be recycled or made available to other people.
Can I restore my name back to my old one after changing my name?
Yes, but not right away. There is no system for someone who has had their name changed to revert to their previous one. You must have to wait 60 days after the last name change or six months for the specific name to become available in the name pool again.
If the name is even available after six months and you haven’t changed your name in the last 60 days, you can reclaim your old name. Because this is an inconvenient process, it’s always a good idea to think twice before proceeding.
With my old username, I’m using a third-party app and bots. Will changing it make them stop working?
That is conditional. Twitch has no control over the creation of third-party apps, so you’ll need to ask them if they support name changes. Most developers’ profile pages will include this information. If they don’t, try asking questions in their forums to get more information.
Can changing my name reduce the length of my ban?
Nope. Twitch’s ban timer is account-based rather than name-based. Even if you change your account name, you will not avoid the ban. If you’ve been permanently banned, you’ll have to wait for your ban to expire or make a new account.
An Ease process
Whether you’re trying to establish your brand or want a new name, knowing how to change your Twitch username comes in handy. As you know, the steps, the process is quite simple. The lack of an option to restore old names and the long wait times for each change should be noted. Always consider any name change carefully, or you may end up having to wait a long time to correct your error.
Do you have any previous experience with Twitch name changes? Do you know of any other methods to change your Twitch username? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.