When you first sign up for an Xbox account, you will be assigned a Gamertag. A Gamertag is a type of username or nickname. It identifies you in the Xbox community and when you play games. Unfortunately, the Gamertag cannot be input manually. Instead, Microsoft will assign you a random Gamertag when you create an Xbox account. As a result, there’s a good chance you’ll dislike the Gamertag generated at random. Therefore, it is vital to change your Xbox Gamertag whenever you desire.
One of the most noticeable aspects of your Xbox profile is the Gamertag. In June 2019, Microsoft made global changes to the Xbox Gamertag settings. As a result, the current release has numerous modifications.
How to Change Your Xbox Gamertag [4 Easy Methods]
This guide will teach you how to alter your Xbox Gamertag. Here are the specifics:
Xbox Gamertag features and limitations
- Your Gamertag could be in any of 200 different languages.
- The Gamertag will be prefixed with # and numbers if it is already in use. So, for example, if Megan Leavey is already taken, you can try MeganLeavey#12.
- Your Gamertag should not be longer than 12 characters.
- If you enter a non-English character in your Gamertag, the English equivalent (ö for o) will appear.
- You cannot currently use emojis or special characters in your Gamertag.
- If you want to alter your Gamertag, you can do so for free once.
- If you wish to change your Gamertag for the second time, you must spend $9.99.
How to Change Your Xbox Gamertag
- Utilizing Xbox One consoles
- Xbox 360 consoles are employed.
- Using the internet
- Utilizing the Xbox Console Companion application
- Change Xbox Gamertag on Xbox One Consoles
(1) Press the Xbox button to open the Profile tab.
(2) Go to the top left corner of the screen and select Profile (Gamerpic).
(3) Next, click on your Profile to update it.
(4) A menu will appear with three options; select My Profile.
(5) You will be directed to your Profile page. Click Customize Profile on the right side of the screen.
(6) An edit icon will appear next to your existing Gamertag (pencil-shaped icon). Click on it to modify your Gamertag.
(7) Some Gamertag alternatives will appear on the next screen. Click More to see more suggestions. By clicking Make my own, you can create your gametag.
(8) If you choose to make your own, a screen with a keyboard will appear. To enter your selected gametag, press the Enter key. If you get the notice “That method to modify your Xbox name isn’t available,” then you’re in luck. Of course, you’ll have to type something more distinctive if you try a new one.”
(9) Once you’ve decided on a Gamertag, click Claim. The modifications will be saved, and you can access your new how-to change Gamertag on the Xbox app.
Change Xbox Gamertag on Xbox 360 Consoles
(1) From the Social menu, select Sign in or out.
(2) Click on the Settings option in your Profile to open it.
(3) Select Profile from the drop-down menu to view your Profile page.
(4) From the drop-down menu on the Profile page, select Edit Profile.
(5) In the example below, select Gamertag (1st option).
(6) A popup with the title “Change Gamertag” will appear. Click Enter New Gamertag to enter your desired Gamertag, or click Get Suggestion to receive an automated Gamertag from Microsoft.
(7) Clicking Enter New Gamertag displays a screen with a keyboard. After you’ve entered your new Gamertag, click Done.
(8) If you enter a Gamertag already in use, the screen below will appear. To join a unique one, click Get Suggestions or Try Another Gamertag.
(9) If you enter a Gamertag that isn’t already in use, the screen below will appear.
(10) To change the Gamertag, select Yes, and use this Gamertag. If you want to re-edit it, choose No, and edit it from the drop-down menu. You will be transported directly to this box when selecting the Get Suggestion option to choose a Gamertag.
(11) If you’re convinced about your new Gamertag, click the Confirm Change option in the confirmation window.
(12) The Congratulations! window will appear if the process is successful. Continue to the next stage by clicking the Continue button.
Change Your Xbox Gamertag Online
Utilizing this method if entering the new Gamertag using the on-screen keyboard is troublesome.
(1) Open any web browser on the computer.
(2) Go to social.xbox.com/changegamertag and, if prompted, sign in using your Xbox account.
(3) After entering your new Gamertag in the designated location, click the Check Availability button.
(4) If the precise match has already been claimed, the Gamertag will be displayed with some numbers. If you agree, click the Xbox Change Gamertag button. If you are unsure, click the Back button.
(5) If you provide a unique Gamertag, the numbers will not appear. Now, from the drop-down option, choose Change Gamertag.
(6) On the confirmation page, click Change Gamertag once more.
(7) You’ll see the Success screen when you’ve finished changing it.
You may also use this method to alter your Xbox Gamertag on your phone. Android and iOS smartphones are both supported.
How to Use Xbox Console Companion App to Change Your Xbox Gamertag
Xbox Console Companion is a PC and laptop program developed by Microsoft. It is free to download and install from the Microsoft Store, although it does require Windows 10. You can install an app if you have Windows 10 on your PC.
(1) Install and launch the Xbox Console Companion app on your Windows 10 PC.
(2) Sign in with your Xbox account.
(3) Click the Gamerpic symbol in the upper left corner of the screen.
(4) From the drop-down menu underneath your Profile, choose Customize.
(5) On the next page, select Change Gamertag.
(6) Type in your desired Gamertag and click the Check Availability button.
(7) If it’s available, click Claim it. If that doesn’t work, try again with a different Gamertag.
Please remember that this strategy is only effective the first time you use it (free option). If upgrading your Gamertag for the second time or paying money, you will be taken to the payment option.
What Does Microsoft Consider Unsuitable for a Gamertag?
If you include anything like: Microsoft may modify your name without notice.
- obscene phrases or words
- Hateful speech
- racial epithets
- Contentious religious issues
- Topics or sexual content
- Notable organizations or individuals
- Important historical or current occurrences
Words, puns, or phrases that are “lookalike” or “sound-alike” to any of the difficulties listed above
What if your name is Inappropriate?
Microsoft may find your accurate name offensive. It will not ask you to modify it, and it will not change it automatically. Instead, it may prevent you from sharing your name with others on Xbox Live.
Although the Xbox software is available for Android and iOS cellphones, you cannot change your Gamertag. You will not be able to change your Gamertag for free again. You can, however, register a new Microsoft account and use your preferred Gamertag. However, you will lose all of your old account’s progress. The methods listed above are the various ways to change your Xbox Gamertag. It’s worth noting that Xbox only allows you to alter your Gamertag once for free. So make sure that you select your new Gamertag correctly.
ALSO SEE:Fix Xbox Game